Friday, June 26, 2009

Memoirs of a ten year old

Danger means nothing to a ten year old on a mission
As the case was for me anyway
And danger was not in the form of a menacing monster of phantasm
Though you would be excused for thinking that were the case

No, danger was an angry, slumbering, fifteen year old sister
Whom my mother had sent me to awaken
"Your small, skinny, and can doge blows easily"
My mother explained as I received my instructions
"If anyone can pull this off without incident, it's you."

I saluted and quietly went upstairs
Up towards the she-demon's lair
The smell of hairspray, lavender soap
And countless potions
Permeated the air like invisible smoke
Smothering my brain and rocking my body with side-to-side motions

But a quick shake of the head and a splash of the Enforcer,
The name of my faithful gun,
kept me awake as the frame of the sleeping behemoth came into view
Aim and ... Fire!!

The amozon gave a bellowing roar as she quickly sat up
Her blood-shot serpentine eyes catching only a fleeting glimpse of her weary instagaor,
As I ran down the stairs for all that I was worth
And without missing a beat, she jumped out of bed and leaped after me
Her long woolly legs quickly filling the gap between us

But the rays of the morning sun
undid what her sleep had done
Her long pointed serpent fangs and beastly talons
Shrunk back into her regular teeth and claws
And her slit pupils turned round as she slowed and finally stopped

"You will pay for this one day, I swear it!" she growled,
Too groggy to continue the chase
And I sighed in relief as her subdued form sulked to the table
"Thank you sugar" mother whispered
But no thanks were necessary, It was my duty

After all, what kind of little brother would I be
If I let my sister sleep till noon on a Saturday anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment